Saturday, July 19, 2014

Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan. Let's mindfuck.

I don't normally review films, I just don't. Probably because I find that I have an eclectic taste in movies. Or I don't want people to think I am "pa-deep", which I am not. We are just different. And to have a difference, is to have an identity. (Ma-isingit lang)

So this is the first time, and hopefully not the last, I will TRY to review a film. And  I'll just make it short and simple.

Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan a 4-hour film by Lav Diaz (2013
)




Intellectually disturbing and stimulating. The artists (Sid Lucero, Angeli Bayani, Archie Alemania, Soliman Cruz, Hazel Orencio and Mae Paner) are all spot on, as if they were really crafted for their characters. Great cinematography, an art for slow cinema.

The story is spellbinding, will definitely leave you confused and dumbfounded. And I am like, "4 hours is not enough, I wanted to see more". This is the kind of film you would want to discuss, debate and "mindfuck" (as Sid Lucero's character says) with someone over coffee or beer. Good thing, I was with Carlo who stayed for another 3 hours going through the film or it will be so painful not to let the sickening feeling out after watching this darn good film. And that for me, is a sign of an epic of awesomeness (great) film.

And I'm pretty sure, Carlo and I will talk about this next week, next month and next year with the same intense we had after watching Norte.

See for yourself, and if you need someone to "mindfuck" with, holler me. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment